• Business Info

  • City

    Business Licenses (Business Tax Certificate)
    Required for all entities doing business within the City of Los Angeles.
    Office of Finance, Tax & Permit Division
    6262 Van Nuys Blvd., Suite 110
    Van Nuys 91401
    (818) 374-6850

    Building & Construction Permits
    Required for all new and remodeling construction, including change of occupancy.
    City of Los Angeles Building & Safety
    6262 Van Nuys Blvd.
    Van Nuys 91401
    (888) 524-2845 (Inside L.A. County) (213) 482-0000 (Outside L.A. County)

    Zoning Approval
    Permitted uses, development regulations, design review, sign permits, and parking regulations.
    Los Angeles Department of Building & Safety
    6262 Van Nuys Blvd. 91401
    (888) 524-2845 (Inside L.A. County) (213) 482-0000 (Outside L.A. County)

    Land Use Permit
    Zone change, variance, conditional use permit
    City of Los Angeles Building & Safety
    6262 Van Nuys Blvd. 91401
    (888) 524-2845 (inside L.A. County)
    (213) 482-0000 (Outside L.A. County)


  • County

    Business Personal Property: Property used in the operation of a business such as machinery, equipment, trade fixtures, etc. and is taxable and subject to assessment. Business operations need to file a Business Property Statement annually with the Office of the Assessor declaring property on hand as of January 1 of each property and fixtures with a cost less that $100,000 are not required to file property taxes.

    County of Los Angeles
    Office of the Assessor
    Business Personal Property Assessments
    13800 Balboa Blvd.
    Sylmar 91342
    (818) 833-6000

    Fictitious Name Filing (DBA)
    Required if fictitious name is used. Name search can be completed on the Internet.
    Business Name Filing & Registration
    Van Nuys Branch Office
    14340 W. Sylvan Street
    Van Nuys, CA 91401
    (818) 376-3777


  • State

    Corporation, Company or Partnership Filings
    If you are considering becoming a corporation (either stock or nonprofit), a limited liability company, or a partnership (limited, limited liability, or general), you must file with the Secretary of State’s Office

    Secretary of State
    Business Programs Division
    1500 11th Street
    Sacramento 95814
    (916) 657-5448

    Occupational Safety & Health Information
    Businesses with employees must prepare an Injury and Illness Prevention Plan. The state provides a no-fee consultation service to assist employers with preventing unsafe working conditions and workplace hazards.
    Cal/OSHA Consultation Services
    320 W. Fourth St., Room 850
    Los Angeles 900136
    (213) 576-7451

    Registration Form for Employers
    Required to file a registration within 15 days after paying more than $100 in wages to one or more employees. No distinction is made between full-time and part-tine or permanent and temporary employees in meeting this requirement.

    Employment Development Department
    Employment Tax Customer Service Office
    800 Capitol Mall, MIC 83
    Sacramento, CA 95814
    http://www.edd.ca.gov/about_edd/Department_Directory.htm#Employment Tax

    Sales & Use Permit (Seller’s Permit)
    All businesses selling or leasing tangible property must obtain a Seller’s Permit.
    State Board of Equalization
    Sales & Use Tax Division
    15350 Sherman Way, Suite 250, Van Nuys
    (818) 904-2300

    State Income Tax Information
    Businesses should obtain the appropriate State income tax forms from the Franchise Tax Board.
    Franchise Tax Board
    15350 Sherman Way, Suite 100
    Van Nuys, CA 91406-4203
    (800) 852-5711

    Wage & Hour Laws
    Businesses with employees must comply with laws establishing minimum standards for wages, hours, and working conditions
    Department of Industrial Relations
    6150 Van Nuys Blvd., Room 206
    Van Nuys, CA 91401
    (818) 901-5315

    Workers’ Compensation Information
    Businesses with employees must maintain Workers’ Compensation Insurance coverage on either a self-insured basis, or provided through a commercial carrier, or the State Workers’ Compensation Insurance Fund.

    Department of Industrial Relations
    Division of Workers’ Compensation
    6150 Van Nuys Blvd., Suite 105
    Van Nuys, CA 91401
    (818) 901-5367


  • Federal

    Employer Identification Number (EIN or SSN)
    Employers with employees, business partnerships, and corporations, must obtain an Employer Identification Number from the I.R.S. Businesses can obtain appropriate Federal income tax forms from this location.

    Federal Building
    6230 Van Nuys Blvd, 1st Floor
    Van Nuys, CA 91401

    Proof of Residency Requirement
    Employees hired after November 6, 1986 must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States.

    US Immigration and Naturalization Service
    Los Angeles District Office
    300 North Los Angeles Street, Room 1001
    Los Angeles, CA 90012
    (800) 357-2099


  • Other

    Consulting/Training/Financial Assistance
    Consultation, information, assistance, and seminars on various aspects of business operations. Some sessions are offered at no charge.
    SBDC (Small Business Development Center)
    North Los Angeles County
    5121 Van Nuys Blvd., 3rd Floor
    Van Nuys, CA 91403
    (818) 907-9922

    Valley Industry and Commerce Association
    Advocates a better business climate and quality of life in the greater San Fernando Valley region. Includes news, services and events.
    5121 Van Nuys Blvd # 203, Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
    (818) 817-0545

    Valley Economic Development Center
    Provider of financing and training solutions for businesses. Includes news, history and program information
    5121 Van Nuys Blvd #300, Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
    (818) 907-9977